Trip to see Taylor!!!!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Desk Dilemna

So the countdown is on until my new place.
And I need a new desk.
So here is the dilemna.

I have this desk chair already to go with it.

I sort of had my heart set on the Parsons Desk in White from West Elm.


Then I started my comparison shopping to see if there was something comparible.
And here is what I found.
The Malm Dressing Table from Ikea.

So here we go with some comparisons.

Price:  
Parson's Desk $405.67 
Ikea Malm Dressing Table $145.77

Dimensions:
Parson's Desk 48"W x 24"D x 30" H
Ikea Malm Table 47 1/4" W x 16 1/8" D x 30 3/4" H

Looks difference:
Parson's Desk: 4 legs and smooth surface and deeper, 2 drawers, white lacquer finish, "engineered wood" whatever that means 
Ikea Malm Dressing Table: 2 legs (sort of solid sides) and not as deep, 1 drawer, glass top, less nice finish, particleboard




I have not seen either of these in person yet so I'm not sure if you would notice greatly the difference between these two pieces.
Part of me wants to get away from the Ikea pieces as they do not seem to last as long be as well made etc.
Does anyone have one of these or know someone who has?
Long term quality wise would there be a huge difference?
The main consideration calling me is the price because then I have an extra $259.90 to buy other apartment things.

What do you think???

No comments:

Post a Comment