Trip to see Taylor!!!!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Teagan's Book Club: The Girl with the Crappy Book

I'm a big reader.
I love to read.
Random kind of things too.
Of course I generally jump on the band wagon...love me some Harry Potter or Twilight series.

(1)

Sometimes I read serious stuff and sometimes not.
When I get in a reading mood it isn't unusual for me to read a book or three a week.
I've gone off of it because of my bad library experience here and with having to study and all for those tests.
I think I will get back into it though.

So my girlfriends gave me a book that at least three of them really liked.
And ...I hate it.
It is terrible.
I've been struggling to get through it these last 4 weeks (so NOT like me).

What book you ask???
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I find it boring and slow.
I don't get the big deal or hype that has been surrounding it.

**********Spoiler alert: I can deal without the detailed rape scene and the drawn out conversations and the slutty main guy character.************ 
Overall, I found it so boring.  How boring?
Enough to go to Wikipedia and read what happens because yes I am that anal and I have to find out what happens but I cannot force myself to keep reading it.

So I'm giving it up and I vow not to read any more of his novels because I don't really like the style of them at all.  There is only one time that I can remember where I have given up reading a novel...that was The Lord of the Rings (which I actually like the movies though I'm not really a sci-fi fan).  I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.  I did eventually make it through the Pillars of the Earth which was good but I didn't "LOVE it" and that was my first Oprah book club that I tried and so have kind of avoided her list since then.  I've never actually been part of a book club but maybe I should try?  Then again my taste is more for things like...
Sophie Kinsella (Confessions of a Shopaholic series) (2),

Dan Brown (love all his books and love his ones that aren't movies the most because they have chick main characters) (3),

the usually Harry Potter/Twilight book series, (4) (5)

and my FAV author is Gigi Levangie Grazer who wrote (Stepmom and The Starter Wife) in fact all of her books are optioned right now to be made into movies/series.  I would love them to make her Maneater novel which is one of my favs! (6)

Anywho that was a tangent...but  I don't think my taste of books would fit in with other women in their late 20s early 30s which is why I have shyed away from book clubs but maybe I will consider once I move to the TDot.  I need to go the library too but I've been avoiding it (a story for another post).

3 comments:

  1. Someone gave me the same book to read. I have heard mixed reviews so I haven't had the huge desire to start reading it yet.

    Loved the Shopoholic Series. Did you ever read "Can You Keep a Secret?" by her? That was a funny book - I would seriously laugh out loud while reading it.

    -Carree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally sympathize with you. I love to read as well and had heard all of these good things about that book. My book club at work picked it and since I'm the mediator, I try to read every book that we pick unless I just absolutely can't make it. I struggled and struggled with this book - picked it up once in the summer before it was picked for book club and then tried again when we chose it. I managed to make it through and about 200 pages in, it got a little better so that I wanted to see what the mystery was and how it was going to end. But I agree with you - it's just not really my thing. I even tried reading the 2nd one afterwards because everyone said it was better than the 1st and I got about 150 pages in and gave up on that one. I LOVE the Shopaholic books and the others by Sophie Kinsella. I've never read anything by Gigi Grazer but I'll have to check those out now! :) Are you on GoodReads?! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carree- I have NOT read "Can you keep a secret?" which is weird because I've read (I think) almost all her other ones. It will be my first one I get from the Library when I go back. Thanks for the recommendation! xo

    @AnEarly30- I'm so glad you gave me the heads up about the 2nd book because now I won't even bother. I tried and forced my way 412 pages and just gave up on the first one I just don't like it. I used to be on GoodReads I will let you know when I am active in it again for sure. Thanks for reminding me of it. xo

    ReplyDelete